Thoughts of warmer days, family trips to the beach and shedding all the layers of clothes makes most people jump for joy. But, this isn’t always the case if you have unwanted weight clinging to your hips and thighs from the holidays. March is National Nutrition Month, and there’s no better time to start rethinking your lifestyle habits to become the healthiest you possible.
Although it may seem simple, here are 10 easy ways to start working some healthy habits into your life right now:
- Eat breakfast – start the day with lean proteins, whole grains, fruits and vegetables. Stop thinking skipping meals is good for you! Your body needs (nutritional) food to work at its full potential. It’s fuel. Just put in the good kind.
- Make half your plate fruits and vegetables.
- Watch portion sizes – more of a good thing is not always a good thing! Get out those measuring cups to make sure you’re eating the recommended serving size.
- Get active! You don’t have to hit the gym. Start by taking a walk after dinner or play a round of basketball with your kids. Almost everyone can squeeze in 10 minutes a day for exercise.
- Fix healthy snacks for on-the-go cravings.
- Drink more water – we shouldn’t have to tell you this, but those sugary sodas are wrecking your waistline!
- Explore new foods to keep family mealtime interesting. Purple asparagus, anyone? Not kidding its real!
- Eat seafood twice a week. Fish and shellfish are not only tasty, but also packed full of nutrients.
- Learn kitchen basics to get cooking at home. Although you can certainly eat healthy at a restaurant, you’ll know exactly what you’re putting into your meals when you prepare them at home.
- Consult a professional. Expert nutritionists can provide you with individualized nutrition advice.
If you decide to go the route of consulting a professional, OneSource Healthcare is ready to help you. Our goal is to help you achieve long-term success in maintaining your ideal weight. We realize there are many reasons people become overweight, and typically there’s not a “one-size-fits-all” weight loss program. That’s actually why the OneSource Weight Loss Plan is successful for many people – we have the best and most experienced weight management team in Southwest Georgia, and each plan is designed specifically for you!
Ashley Woodall explains how OneSource uses the New Directions meal replacement system and an effective counseling approach to maximize your weight loss and change your life.